Friday, February 28, 2014

Small Businesses Should Know Their Neighborhood (and neighbors)




I cam across this article (the link is at the botttom of the post) from Ken Muller about small businesses and i thought it was right on point. What separates a small business from larger corporations are the people. I can recall growing up in Jackson Heights and my local store owners not only knew me, but they knew my parents and their preferences. This was especially true at my corner drug store. Steve, the pharmacist, knew me, my sister and my parents and more importantly knew our tendencies and to a further extent knew our medical histories. What this established was a loyalty that came from within. Steve was associated with making us feel better. We would go to the doctor and then Steve would give us the medicine that made us feel better.

This is my experience and story, but as a small business owner what can you do to drive this type of loyalty? Ken makes some great points and even though I work in advertising I think being a great neighbor is a great form of no cost advertising and one worth investing in.



Know Your Neighbor Article

No comments:

Post a Comment